Student Commencement Speaker Application
The application for the Spring 2018 student speaker has closed.
Graduating seniors who are interested in auditioning to be the May 2018 Commencement Speaker must complete the Student Speaker Application above. The deadline to apply was Friday, March 16.
Applications, along with two letters of recommendation, must be submitted to Teresa Dail at 2328 Broughton Hall, Campus Box 7313 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Letters of recommendation should be submitted by faculty/staff members who know you well.
Criteria for Student Speaker Selection
- The student speaker must be a graduating senior and is eligible to speak only at the ceremony when receiving their initial degree.
- The student speaker should be representative of the graduating class.
- The student speaker should be a responsible person.
- The student speaker should have something relevant to say and should be well spoken.
- The topic and format will be left to the discretion of the student speaker.
- The speech must not be disrespectful or contain profanity of any kind.
- A five-minute (or less) audition of the commencement speech before the Commencement Advisory Committee is required of all applicants. (Five minutes is the maximum time allotted for the Student Graduation Speaker.)
Auditions for the May 2018 Student Graduation Speaker will be held on Tuesday, March 20 at 7:00 p.m. in 2203 SAS Hall. Check back for updates.
NOTE: No one other than the student speaker candidate and the members of the Commencement Advisory Committee may be present during the auditions.
Applicants will be notified of the decision of the Commencement Advisory Committee by letter.