Here are some important, key points to keep in mind about the new late drop options for students:
- The late drop option is available to all students
- It is important to consult with the instructor and your advisor before dropping any course
- The drop is not automatic and will go through an approval process before being finalized
- W grades will be assigned, but will not ultimately count toward the 16-hour maximum for undergraduate students
- What is the deadline to submit a late drop request for my Summer class?
The deadlines to submit late drop requests for Summer Sessions 2020 classes are as follows:
Maymester 3-Week: July 20, 2020
Summer I 5-Week: July 20, 2020
Summer II 5-Week: August 28, 2020
Summer 10-Week: August 28, 2020
*Deadlines are subject to change.
- Will the Enhanced Late Drop option be available for the Fall 2020 semester?
Yes. Details will be available at a later date.
- If I’m a graduating senior, can I submit a late drop request after my degree has been posted?
No. Once your degree has been posted, you will no longer be able to submit a late drop request. It is important to ensure all requests are submitted prior to the beginning of degree posting.
- If I’m a graduating senior, what if my grades have not been submitted prior to the beginning of degree posting?
Graduation clearance and the posting of degrees runs for 30 days after commencement in order for late grades to be posted, transfer credit received and processed, and the resolution of other issues or requirements. It is advisable for graduating seniors to sign up for the text messaging service that lets you know when a grade has been posted if you are considering a late drop in a course based on the grade received. You can sign up for this service in your MyPack Portal: Student Homepage > Personal Information tile > Text/Email Notification Setup.
- Who should I consult before I consider dropping a course for the term?
Consult with the instructor of your course(s) and your academic advisor in order to identify alternative options that may be available and the effect of dropping a course.
- Is there an approval process for a late drop request?
Yes, at the undergraduate level course drops are approved by the student’s College Dean’s Office. At the graduate level the drop will be approved by the student’s DGP and the Graduate School. Veterinary Medicine late drops are approved by the CVM Dean’s office. Students will be notified via email whether the request to drop each class was approved or denied.
- Can I drop below full-time status to part-time with a late drop request?
Yes, you can drop below full time status, however there are populations of students who should receive a consultation and/or carefully consider the effects of dropping below full-time. For students on financial aid you may be required to confirm participation in the course with your instructor and the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid. Additionally, if you drop below half-time we may report a new enrollment status and you may potentially move towards loan repayment. If you are an international student you will want to contact the Office of International Services before submitting a request to drop below full time status. Graduate Students on GSSP should NOT drop below full-time. Graduate Students with significant extenuating circumstances considering dropping below full time should discuss the situation with your DGP. Athletes need to contact Academic Support Program for Student-Athletes and students receiving VA Education Benefits can contact the Veterans Education Benefits team.
- Will opting into the Late Drop Option have other impacts on Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) rules?
Maybe. Visit the Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) page on COVID-19 adjustments to learn about how calculations will be adjusted for the Spring 2020 term.
- I am an International Student. Will dropping classes for the term impact my visa status?
Dropping a course can impact your visa status and you should consult with the Office of International Services (OIS) before submitting a request. More information is available on the OIS website and their Coronavirus (COVID-19) FAQ page.
- Will I get a refund if I drop a class through the late drop request process?
No, refunds will not be offered for late drop requests.
- Will I get a W grade for the course?
Yes, but the W grade will not count against the 16 hour limit at the undergraduate level.
- Will a late drop impact my Satisfactory Academic Progress?
Yes, late drops may negatively impact Satisfactory Academic Progress. Please consult with your advisor before performing a late drop. Students who fail to meet Satisfactory Academic Progress standards will be notified at the end of the term and will be granted the opportunity to appeal to continue in the next term.