Skip to main content


Know where you stand. Chart your progress. Enjoy your achievements. The Student Services Center can help you track your current academic status, plan your future GPA and share your grades through a transcript.

Grading Information Guide

GPA Calculator

Grading Options

When you enroll in a course, you may choose how you would like it to count toward your degree.

  • Graded: The course will be graded on the A+…F scale and will count toward your GPA.
  • Credit-Only (Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory): The course will not count toward your GPA. In order to receive a Satisfactory (passing) grade, the equivalent of a C- or better is required. Selected courses can be included only under the free elective category of the specific curriculum in which the student is enrolled. Thus, students in curricula without free electives may not take credit-only courses to satisfy graduation requirements except for Physical Education and other courses authorized to be graded S/U (reference REG 02.20.15 below).
  • Audit: The course will not count toward your GPA or your degree requirements. Audited courses will still be subject to tuition and fees (reference REG 02.20.04 below).

Many courses (either required for degree or for Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory grading) require a minimum of a C- (or a “C-Wall”) in order to be considered a passing grade as opposed to a D- or above. Courses requiring a C- will be designated as such in the course description.

Note: If you wish to audit a course or take it for credit only, confirm with your advisor that you are meeting your degree requirements before you enroll.

REG 02.20.04: Audits

REG 02.20.15: Credit-Only Courses

Grading Scale and Grade Point Average

The number of credit hours attempted in a semester or summer session (for which regular grades are received) is divided into the total number of grade points earned to arrive at the grade-point average (GPA).

Letter GradeGrade Points

REG 02.50.03: Grades and Grade Point Average

Repeating Courses

Undergraduate students may repeat a course for credit once without permission if the previous attempt was completed with a grade lower than a D+. Students must have permission from the dean of their respective college to attempt a course for credit more than twice.

Unless a student applies a grade exclusion (see below), the grades for all course attempts are included in the calculated GPA.

REG 02.20.06: Course Repeat

Grade Exclusions

Undergraduate students may apply a maximum of two grade exclusions to classes for which they received a C- or lower. Grade exclusions must be applied prior to applying for graduation.

REG 02.20.16: Undergraduate Grade Exclusions

Grade Changes

End-of-course grades are final upon submission to the department of Registration and Records and not subject to change as a result of the instructor’s judgment or on the basis of a second trial (e.g., a new examination or additional work undertaken or completed).

Grade changes may only be made to correct:

  • an error in computation or transcribing, or
  • a mistake where part of the student’s work has been unintentionally overlooked.

Grade changes must be made within one calendar year after the date final grades were submitted.

A Grade Change Report form requires the instructor’s signed statement as to the reason for the change, the approval of the department head, and the approval of the dean of the college in which the course is taught. Such approval is not necessary when changing an Incomplete (IN) or Late Grade (LA).

Incomplete Grades

In cases of an extenuating circumstance or for work not completed because of a serious interruption in their work not caused by their own negligence, it may not be possible for a student to complete required coursework within the parameters of a specific term. In these cases, it may be reasonable for a student to speak with an instructor regarding an Incomplete (IN) grade.

If  a student and their instructor agree that an Incomplete (IN) grade is appropriate, it is the student’s responsibility to complete the course work to earn the final grade. If left unresolved, the Incomplete (IN) grade will convert to an F at the university deadline.

A student should consult with their academic advisor regarding other options, including completing the course, a drop or late-drop of a specific course, or requesting a withdrawal from the semester. Review and consider all posted academic deadlines.

  • Upon completing all remaining work, you would be able to pass the course.
  • A significant portion of coursework has been completed (generally at least 50%).
  • Consider future enrollment and whether additional work can be completed with additional course load.
  • As a student, you will need to contact your instructor(s) to discuss if an incomplete grade is a possibility in their class. In some cases, this may not be possible and the instructor may deny the request. If an instructor cannot fulfill a request for an Incomplete (IN) grade, it will be necessary to complete as much work as possible to earn a final grade, or speak with your academic advisor regarding alternatives.
  • If an instructor agrees to assign an Incomplete (IN) grade, clearly discuss the remaining work to be completed and due dates for each assignment.
  • Some instructors may request a Course Completion Contract to be completed.
  • While creating a plan, consider the university deadline for resolving an Incomplete (IN) grade.
  • Students should plan to resolve the work as quickly as possible.
  • Set up a structured timeline in accordance with all established due dates. The Academic Skill Handouts may offer a starting point for organizing your time and breaking down assignments in a way that feels manageable.
  • Consider all available resources, including the instructor and academic advisor.
  • Complete all remaining coursework by the agreed deadlines to avoid an Incomplete (IN) grade converting to an F.
  • Students should maintain contact with their instructor and communicate any potential challenges in a timely manner.

REG 02.50.03 – Grades and Grade Point Average