Skip to main content

Program Eligibility Requirements

You may need additional resources to help cover your tuition costs, regardless of whether you’re taking traditional courses or participating in an off-campus program.

Financial Aid Eligibility

Graduate Degree Student

Graduate students may be eligible for Federal Unsubsidized Direct Loans and Federal Work-Study. Qualified graduate students pursuing masters or doctoral degrees may also apply for fellowships, assistantships and other resources offered through individual colleges, departments, and the Graduate School.

Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM) Student

Students in NC State’s DVM program apply for need-based financial aid through the same process as other students at NC State. Veterinary students are eligible for a small grant to assist with tuition charges, but primarily borrow Federal Direct loans. For additional information, please visit the Costs of Attendance for the College of Veterinary Medicine.


Graduate and professional students preparing for health professions have a significantly higher limit for federal student loans than other graduate-level students. DVM students can borrow up to $40,500 in unsubsidized loans. As with all student loans, students may borrow up to the loan limit or the cost of attendance, whichever is less. For North Carolina residents, the cost of attendance will be less than the maximum $40,500.


The College of Veterinary Medicine offers a number of scholarships; contact the CVM Student Services Office for more information about applying for those scholarships.

Consortium Agreement Student

The Consortium Agreement allows an NC State student enrolled at another institution to retain aid eligibility. To be eligible, students must be:

  • in their last semester
  • enrolled in a course at the other institution that is required for degree completion and is not offered at NC State in the term
  • able to provide documentation confirming eligibility

Co-op Student

Since cooperative education work does not carry academic credit, co-op students are not eligible for financial aid while on work assignments unless enrolled in other courses for academic credit of at least six (6) hours per semester. For more information, visit the co-op page.

Distance Education Student

Students taking distance education course work are eligible for regular financial aid, provided that the coursework is applicable to the degree.

Study Abroad Student

Students may be eligible to receive aid while studying abroad. Financial aid eligibility is determined using the total cost of studying abroad (including airfare and personal expenses), based on official program budgets provided by the Study Abroad Office or by the sponsoring institution and the student’s EFC. Summer school applications are required for students who are planning to study abroad during the summer.

To receive aid while studying abroad, students must:

  • receive study abroad approval from an academic advisor.
  • read, understand and complete the Study Abroad Enrollment Agreement Form.
  • enroll in courses that are applicable to their degree program.
  • notify the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid in the event of a withdrawal or reduction in course load while studying abroad. Changes to enrollment status may require repayment of financial aid funding.
  • appropriately plan for aid disbursements. Financial aid funds are disbursed approximately 10 days prior to the first day of classes at NC State.
  • provide the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid a copy of their transcript/grade report from the visiting school as soon as grade information becomes available.

Summer Sessions Student

Financial aid is available for summer! Undergraduate and graduate students that demonstrate financial need can be considered for need based summer grants while funding remains available. All eligible students can also be considered for student loans for the summer.

To be considered, students must:

  • have a completed FAFSA on file for the current academic year.
  • be enrolled in a degree program at NC State.
  • enroll for at least 3 credit hours and demonstrate financial need for need based grant consideration.
  • enroll at least half time for student loan consideration (6 undergraduate hours; 4.5 graduate hours). Summer I and Summer II coursework can be combined to calculate the half-time enrollment requirement. However, aid will not disburse until the minimum hour requirement has begun.
  • meet the conditions of the policy regarding Satisfactory Academic Progress.

How to apply:

To apply for summer aid, visit MyPack Portal to complete a summer aid application. Generally, the application is available in mid to late March. You must register for summer courses first in order to complete the application. Complete the application by the priority date given to have aid processed by the billing due date.  Notify the OSFA if enrollment changes are anticipated following the completion of the summer aid application. Recalculation of aid may be required.


Attending…Priority DeadlineFinal Deadline
Summer I (Maymester and/or Summer I 5-Week Session)04/05/202405/17/2024
Summer I (10-Week Session)04/05/202405/17/2024
Summer I AND Summer II04/05/202405/17/2024
Summer II (5-Week Session)04/05/202406/26/2024

After your aid is offered:

Failure to enroll in the number of hours indicated on the summer aid application, or dropping hours after beginning the summer session, may result in the required repayment of financial aid, including repaying funds that have already been disbursed. Please review the Summer Conditions and Responsibilities for important information about the terms and guidelines associated with receiving summer financial aid.

International Student

Most federal and institutional need-based aid requires U.S. citizenship or eligible non-citizenship. Students who are entering the country on student visas should contact the Office of International Services (OIS) for information concerning admissions criteria and possible financial aid sources.

Private Loans or Scholarships

Some international students may qualify for private loans or private scholarships provided by outside donors. Private loans typically require international students to have co-signers or co-borrowers who can guarantee the loan. Please visit for information on available private loans.

Non-Degree Student

Students in non-degree programs are not eligible to receive aid with the following exceptions:

  • Teacher Licensure – Student enrolled in the NC TEACHBusiness and Marketing Education, or Agricultural Professionals licensure programs, or who are pursuing licensure under the direction of the Regional Alternative Licensure Center (RALC), may be eligible for aid. Students who are determined to be eligible may receive only Federal Direct Loans.
  • PBS Coursework – Students enrolled in required pre-requisite undergraduate coursework (400 level course or below) for admission into a graduate degree program at NC State may be eligible for Federal Direct loan assistance.  Aid is limited to one consecutive 12-month period, and students must be enrolled at least half-time (at least 6 credit hours per term). Documentation to confirm eligibility is required.
  • Graduate Certificate Programs – Students enrolled in graduate certificate programs may be eligible for federal financial aid. Students who are determined to be eligible may receive only Federal Direct Loans. Undergraduate certificate programs are not aid eligible.

Undocumented Student

Financial aid is not available for undocumented students. Undocumented students are not eligible for in-state tuition, regardless of how long they have lived in North Carolina. Undocumented students may qualify for private loans or outside scholarships similar to those available to international students.

Documented students of undocumented parents are eligible to apply for federal financial aid. Students should contact the OSFA for assistance in completing the FAFSA.

For more information and sources of aid for undocumented students, please visit