Understanding Holds, Prerequisites, and Restrictions

What is a Hold?

Your account may have holds on it that prevent you from enrolling in upcoming terms. These holds include, but are not limited to, advising holds (need to meet with your advisor prior to enrolling), student account holds (i.e. late tuition/fee payments), judicial holds and Student Health Services-related holds. Please be sure to resolve any holds on your account prior to your enrollment date to help ensure that you will be able to register for classes on time.

To view your holds:

MyPack Portal > Student Homepage > Tasks & Holds tile

  1. Log into MyPack Portal
  2. Select your Student Homepage
  3. View the Tasks & Holds tile
  4. If you do not have any holds, you will see “No current tasks” at the bottom of this tile.
  5. If you do have holds, click the tile to view details.

Why does a class list a Prerequisite, a Corequisite, or a Requirement?

Courses may require that you have already successfully completed another course prior to enrollment. For example, MIE 201 – Introduction to Business Processes is a prerequisite for MIE 330 – Human Resource Management. You must successfully complete MIE 201 in order to enroll in MIE 330.

Courses may require that you enroll in another course during the same term. This is the case for various laboratory sections. For example, BIO 105 – Biology in the Modern World is a corequisite of BIO 106 – Biology in the Modern World Laboratory. You cannot be enrolled in BIO 106 if you are not simultaneously enrolled in BIO 105.

There are also some instances in which you will not be allowed to enroll in or receive credit for one course if you have already taken or are enrolled in another similar course. For example, when looking at ENG 261 – English Literature I, you will see a message that, “Credit is not allowed for ENG 251 and ENG 261.”

Courses may require that you meet another specific type of requirement in order to enroll. Requirements include, but are not limited to, student groups (i.e. University Honors Program), certain classifications (i.e. Sophomore standing), or could be specific to majors or concentrations. For example, it is required that you are a Communication major in order to enroll in COM 240 – Communication Inquiry.

If a course has a prerequisite, corequisite or other requirement, it will be denoted in the course information. When registering for classes from the Enrollment Wizard, if you have not met all of the necessary requisites or requirements, the following icon will appear in the course listing:

Other Types of Enrollment Restrictions

Instructor Permission Required: Some courses may require you to receive permission from the instructor or department in order to enroll. You will need to contact the instructor or department directly to receive permission. Be aware of the deadlines to add a class without and with instructor permission. These dates can be found on the Academic Calendar.

Seats Reserved: Some courses or sections may reserve some or all seats for certain populations. Seats may be reserved by special programs, declared major or minor, student groups, career/classifications or other designations.

If there are seat restrictions for a course or section, the following icon will appear in the course listing in the Enrollment Wizard: