Skip to main content

Progress Deficiency

University-Based Progress Deficiency

Academic progress will be calculated for all full-time and part-time students at the end of each academic year (May).

Pace of Completion (2/3 Rule)

Students must pass at least 2/3 of all hours attempted each academic year (summer term – spring term). Attempted hours include all hours enrolled for credit as of census date plus hours added after census. Hours dropped after census, withdrawn for extenuating circumstances i.e. medical withdrawal, or excluded through Grade Exclusion also count as attempted hours.

Maximum Timeframe (150% Rule)

Students must graduate before attempting more than 150% of the hours required for their degree program (i.e. 180 hours for a 120 hour degree program).

How to Check for Progress Deficiency

If a student wishes to view whether they are meeting their progress toward degree, it will be displayed on their Advising Dashboard in MyPack Portal. To access the Advising Dashboard:

  1. Log into MyPack Portal using your Unity ID and password
  2. Access your Student Homepage
  3. Select the ‘Planning & Enrollment’ tile
  4. From the left-hand navigation menu, select ‘Advising Dashboard’

Students can view their progress deficiency status by clicking ‘View’ next to ‘Academic Progress’ or ‘Progress Deficiency’ under the Academic Indicators section on the Advising Dashboard.

College-Based Progress Deficiency

Separate from University SAP requirements, students may be placed on Progress Deficiency by their College/Program. 

Individual colleges have the ability to place students on Progress Deficiency if the student is not making reasonable progress toward degree. Reasonable progress may be defined by the college as: completing courses required for the student’s major in a timely manner, maintaining the expected GPA for the major, or making timely progress toward degree completion.

Academic progress at the college level will be evaluated at the end of the academic year (May).

Progress Deficiency Hold

Students that are deemed progress deficient by their college or program will have a Progress Deficiency Hold placed on their account, preventing enrollment. Students will be notified when their College/Program puts a progress hold on their account with instructions for removing the Progress Deficiency Hold through participation in the Inter-College Transfer (ICT) Program. The ICT Program provides students the opportunity to work with an experienced, cross-curricular advisor to explore majors and work towards meeting Change of Degree Application (CODA) requirements to change majors. Click here for more information on the ICT Program.

Progress Watch Indicator

Progress Watch Service indicators are used by Colleges and Programs to track students that are in danger of becoming Progress Deficient. A student’s advisor, college or program can provide more information on the expectations for student progress towards degree.

Students placed on Progress Watch will be given instructions on who to contact for more information and assistance in developing plans on avoiding Progress Deficiency.