CODA: Add a Minor
Students can use the self-service Change of Degree Application (CODA) portal to add a minor to their degree plan.
Requirements and Restrictions for Minor Admission
Most minor programs at NC State require that the student has completed at least 12 credit hours of NC State coursework and has a GPA of 2.0. Some minors require additional coursework be completed prior to being allowed admission into the program. See the link below for a list of admission requirements for all of NC State’s minor programs, sorted by college.
If you have not met the minimum requirements for program admission, you will not be allowed to complete the application.
If you have met the minor’s entry requirements, follow the steps to complete the application as prompted.
Additional Requirements for Admission
Some minor programs additionally have preferred requirements for admission. These preferred requirements will not prevent a student from submitting the Add a Minor form for the program; however if the preferred requirements have not been met, the student’s CODA action may be reviewed by the minor coordinator for admission approval.
Majors Excluded from Minors
Some minor programs do not allow admission for degree-seeking students in certain majors or major concentrations. For example, B.S. Computer Engineering students are not allowed to add the Computer Programming minor.
Similarly, students in the B.A. English – Literature concentration are unable to add the American Literature minor, but students in the B.A. English – Film concentration are able to add this minor.
Add a Minor Application
- Log into MyPack Portal
- Select the ‘Student Homepage’
- Select the ‘Planning & Enrollment’ tile
- From the left-hand navigation menu, select ‘CODA: Manage Majors/Minors’
- Select ‘Add a Minor’
- Complete the application as directed. The application will show your current major(s) and minor(s). Select the desired minor you intend to add. You may be asked to run a Check Eligibility report and a Degree Audit report.
Please keep in mind:
- Steps may differ based on the student’s current progress toward degree.
- If you have not met the minimum requirements for program admission (see below), you will not be allowed to complete the application.
- If you have applied to graduate with a major degree, you will be asked whether to add this minor to the application to graduate for the given major.