Academic Progress

As of the 2015 Fall term, all undergraduate students, regardless of when they first enrolled in NC State University, are subject to the Satisfactory Academic Progress and Continuation of Undergraduate Enrollment Regulations.

Satisfactory Academic Progress

Undergraduate Students

  • Students must be enrolled in a minimum of 12 credit hours per term to be considered full-time. Undergraduate students are encouraged to enroll in at least 15 hours per term in a degree-granting major to remain on track to graduate.
  • Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) will be evaluated at the end of each academic year (May). Students must meet the following three standards:
    • Complete at least 2/3 of all hours attempted each year (summer term – spring term).
    • Graduate before attempting more than 150% of the hours required for their degree program.
    • Maintain an academic standing that allows for continued enrollment.
  • Students failing to meet any of the above standards will be placed on Progress Deficiency and will not be eligible to continue enrollment. However, students will have the right to appeal to return for a future term.

Graduate and Professional Students

Graduate or professional program students (including Doctorate in Veterinary Medicine) must meet the criteria established in the Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy for Financial Aid Eligibility in order to be eligible for receipt of financial aid. Graduate and professional students are considered to be making satisfactory academic progress for financial aid purposes if the following are met:

  • Successful completion of at least 2/3 of all credits attempted at the end of the academic year (summer, fall, spring). Incomplete, late or withdrawn grades are not considered successful completions.
  • Not terminated or on academic probation and eligible to continue enrollment as defined by the Academic Difficulty
  • Eligible to continue enrollment as defined by the Time Limit for Completion of Graduate Degree

Students who were unable to meet the 2/3 completion requirement or who were placed on academic probation and have extenuating circumstances that contributed to their deficient academic performance may appeal for an exception to the policy. Appeal information is available here.

Students that are terminated from their graduate degree programs are not eligible to appeal for reinstatement of financial aid eligibility until and unless they are reinstated.

Continuation of Academic Enrollment

  • Students must maintain a cumulative GPA of at least 2.0 or be on Academic Warning or Probation in order to be eligible to continue enrollment.
  • Academic Status will be evaluated at the end of every fall, spring, and summer term.
  • All suspended students have the right to appeal to return for a future term.