Academic Status will be calculated at the end of every fall, spring, and summer term for all enrolled undergraduate students.
A student in Good Standing has a cumulative Grade Point Average of at least 2.0.
Academic Warning and Academic Probation
Students who meet either of the following criteria will be placed on Academic Warning and allowed to continue enrollment:
- a cumulative GPA less than 2.0 and a grade point deficit* of 15 or less
- a cumulative GPA above 2.0 and a term GPA below 1.0
Students on Academic Warning must maintain a term GPA of at least 2.0 for every fall, spring and summer term of enrollment, until they achieve a cumulative GPA of at least 2.0.
Students will be placed on Academic Probation for one term after an appeal to return from Academic Suspension has been approved.
Students on Academic Probation who:
- earn a term GPA of at least 2.0 during their Probation term will move to Academic Warning and will be subject to the continuation criteria described above.
- fail to earn a term GPA of at least 2.0 during their Probation term will be suspended.
Students on Academic Warning or Academic Probation are required to meet with their advisor during the first four weeks of the fall or spring term to discuss their plan for academic success.
Students who meet either of the following criteria will be placed on Academic Suspension:
- A cumulative GPA less than 2.0 and a grade point deficit* greater than 15 at the end of any term
- Students on Academic Warning or Probation, who fail to maintain a term GPA of at least 2.0 for every subsequent fall, spring or summer term
Options for Suspended Students
- Students on Academic Suspension with a grade point deficit* of 15 or less may choose to enroll in NC State summer terms in an effort to improve their status .
- Suspended students enrolled for summer will have their suspension deferred and their fall schedule maintained until the end of their summer enrollment.
- Students on suspension deferral for summer must raise their cumulative GPA to at least a 2.0 or pass at least 6 hours with a cumulative summer GPA of 2.0. Failure to do so will result in the student being returned to Academic Suspension status.
- All suspended students have the right to submit an appeal to continue enrollment.
Note: Students who remain on Academic Suspension will have all future term enrollments canceled and may not re-enroll.
How to Check Academic Status
If a student wishes to view their academic status, it will be displayed on their Advising Dashboard in MyPack Portal. To access the Advising Dashboard:
- Log into MyPack Portal
- Access the Student Center
- Using the drop-down menu under the Academics section, select ‘Advising Dashboard’
Students can view their academic status by clicking ‘View’ next to their academic standing (Good Standing, Academic Warning, or Academic Suspension) under the Academic Indicators section of the Advising Dashboard.