Skip to main content

Residency Status

Residency for Tuition Purposes

In compliance with state law, the University of North Carolina system requires Undergraduate, Graduate, Ag Institute, and Non-degree students to request a residency classification from the Residency Determination Service (RDS).

According to the North Carolina General Assembly (North Carolina General Statutes Section (G.S.) 116-143.1(b)), a student qualifies as a resident for tuition purposes if he or she has:

  • an established legal residency (domicile) in North Carolina
  • maintained that legal residence for at least 12 continuous months prior to being considered for in-state residency

The State Residency Laws and Policies offers complete information on residency statutes, as well as explanations as how the two qualifications above are evaluated.

Appeals & Exceptions

Undergraduate, Agricultural Institute, and Non-Degree Students
If you have been classified as an out-of-state student for tuition purposes and would like to seek reclassification as an in-state student, you will be required to complete the North Carolina Residency Determination Service (RDS) residency determination process.  

After you have received confirmation from NCRDS of a validated residency decision, you will need to provide or update your Residency Determination Number in NC State’s self-service residency page:

  1. Log into MyPack Portal
  2. Navigate to your Student Homepage
  3. Select the ‘Personal Information’ tile
  4. From the left-hand menu, select ‘Residency Information.’

Instructions for completing the process are included on this page.

Changes in residency status must have an effective date from RDS on or prior to the: 45th day after the first day of the Fall or Spring term; 20th day after the first day of the 10-week Summer term; and the 10th day after the first day of the five-week Summer terms. If the effective date of your reclassification is after these designated dates, then the reclassification will be in effect for the following term.

Graduate Students
Information and a link to the appeal form is available here:

Residency for UNC System Employees and Families

Permanent full-time employees of the University of North Carolina who are legal residents of North Carolina qualify as residents for tuition purposes even if they have not maintained legal residency for the required 12 consecutive months prior to residence classification. Spouses and dependent children (using income tax dependency as the standard) of full-time UNC employees who are legal residents also qualify for this benefit. There is no limit on the number or type of courses for which this benefit will apply. Additional information is provided in the NC RDS Guidebook.

UNC System employees or eligible family members wishing to use this benefit are required to submit the ‘Residency for UNC System Employees and Their Families’ form, which is available on our ‘Forms Directory’ page. This form should be submitted to the Student Services Center in order to apply for this benefit.

Residency for Military Personnel and Dependents

Review information concerning the residency status for armed forces personnel and their dependents under North Carolina General Statutes Section (G.S.) 116-143.3.

Active duty military personnel whose permanent duty station and location is in North Carolina and their military dependents are eligible to receive the benefit of in-state tuition even if they are not residents of North Carolina.

If you have been classified as an out-of-state student for tuition purposes and would like to seek reclassification as an in-state student, you will need to complete a reclassification form through the North Carolina Residency Determination Service (RDS).

Post 9/11 GI Bill Recipients under Choice Act-Section 702 & NC SB 257

Veterans and dependents may qualify for in-state residents after an initial classification of out-of-state by providing additional information through the Section 702 Veterans “Choice Act” & NC SB 257.

Under the Choice Act, a “covered individual” meets these qualifications:

  • A Veteran, dependent of a veteran, or a spouse/child using benefits under the Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship
  • “Lives” in the state in which the institution of higher learning is located, regardless of his/her formal state of residence
  • Enrolls in the institution within three years of the veteran’s discharge from active-duty service, or in the case of the Fry Scholarship, within three years of the service member’s death in the line of duty, OR
  • The dependent or spouse of an active duty service member enrolled in the institution while using transferred Ch33 Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits, or, benefits under the Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship

Note: An active-duty veteran under Section 702, not living in North Carolina is not a “covered individual” at this time.

Reclassification Instructions

If you have been classified as an out-of-state student for tuition purposes and would like to seek reclassification as an in-state student under Section 702 Veterans “Choice Act,” download and complete the Choice Act Reclassification Form found here.

Submit the form and copies of supporting documentation via:

  • Email to (ensure no complete file numbers or SSN’s are visible or included in documents)
  • Fax at 919-515-2376, Attn: Veterans’ Education, OR
  • Mail to 1000 Harris Hall, Attn: Veterans’ Education, Registration and Records, Campus Box 7313, Raleigh, NC 27694-7313

Tuition Assistance Through Yellow Ribbon

The Yellow Ribbon program is a joint initiative between NC State and the Veterans Administration. Beginning Fall 2016, participating students receive a payment of up to $5,700 per term (fall and spring only) to assist in offsetting the difference between in-state and out-of-state tuition/fees.

Veterans’ Education Benefits students are considered for the Yellow Ribbon program if the following apply:

  • Student’s legal residence is not North Carolina
  • Student is not on active-duty orders
  • Student is not a “covered individual” under Section 702 of the Veterans “Choice Act” of 2014, as it pertains to non-resident tuition and fees
  • Student has a post-911 eligibility of 100 percent
  • Student is not the spouse of an active-duty service member using transferred benefits

NC State has a total of 35 Yellow Ribbon program participants, and available openings are offered on a first-come/first-serve basis following student admission each term. Once students are part of the Yellow Ribbon program, they remain there until:

  • graduation
  • their legal residence changes to North Carolina
  • they become eligible under Section 702 of the “Choice Act”
  • they become active-duty personnel stationed in North Carolina