What is a Student PIN?
A Student Personal Identification Number (PIN) is a new additional security measure that will allow certain central university administrative offices to ensure compliance with the federal Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).
When assisting students via telephone, this additional step will allow student services representatives and administrative officials to verify the identity of the caller by asking for the self-identified PIN that only the student should know.
When Will You be Asked For Your PIN
At this time, only the following university offices will ask students to provide their PINs when asked to discuss the student’s records by phone:
- Student Services Center
- Cashier’s Office
- Registration and Records
- Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid
Students will be asked to provide their PIN when requesting access to FERPA-protected information.
The new Student PIN verification will be available to students in MyPack Portal beginning in March 2021. However, students will not be required to input a Student PIN until the Fall 2021 semester.
How to Set or Change Your Student PIN
To navigate to the Student PIN set-up:
MyPack Portal > Student Homepage > ‘Personal Information’ tile > ‘Student PIN’
- Log into MyPack Portal
- Select your Student Homepage
- Select the ‘Personal Information’ tile
- From the left-hand navigation menu, select ‘Student PIN’
- Your PIN should be a four-digit number that is difficult for others to guess. For example, do not use your birth date or a common sequence of numbers.
- Be sure to click the green ‘Save’ button to save your changes